View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow View Post
she is on hills i.d. food now thru the tube and is holding it down.
Good that she's holding it down, but I/D is a really crappy food. All the Hill's products are, but vets are blinded by the propaganda. Here are the ingredients for I/D:

Quote:
Water, Pork Liver, Pork By-Products, Chicken, Wheat Flour, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Starch, Brewers Rice, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Powdered Cellulose, ....
I'd like a vet to point out to me what ingredients in this food they think make it so great for a cat with "gastrointestinal disorders" (which is what it's "prescribed" for). No food should have pork liver as it's first ingredients. Wheat flour, cornstarch, brewers rice, beet pulp, powdered cellulose - completely inappropriate for ANY cat, never mind one that's recovering from illness and surgery. ARGH!!! It makes me so mad that vets have been so brainwashed by Hill's that they can't see how crappy this stuff is. There are much better options for you to feed Simba.

Quote:
On the receipt for surgery it says Buprenex for the anthesthic. it also says ket-valo sedation. it also says isoflurane and propofol/ketamine/diazepam. all this is from the surgery receipt. then they put her on gabapentin.
The gabapentin caught my attention. Use of this drug in cats is fairly new and there isn't enough data on how safe it is. There was a WINN feline foundation study about a year ago but I have no idea what results they came up with. In theory, it should be fine because it has a wide safety margin in other species, but cats are their own unique little beings and should never be lumped in with the rest of us mere mortals. Here are some recent comments from a page about feline orofacial pain:

Quote:
There is little veterinary experience with the drug gabapentin (Neurontin®) and its adverse effects in cats are unknown, however, in people there is a very wide safety margin, and it has been used successfully in the treatment of human facial pain disorders (Schachter & Carrazana, 1997). A dose rate of 3 mg/kg PO SID has been suggested for the treatment of chronic pain in cats, and up to 10-30 mg/kg PO q 8h for refractory seizures (Plumb, 2005). Gabapentin (Neurontin®) is available in New Zealand as 100 mg capsules. As for phenobarbitone, attempts should be made to wean the cat off any alternative antiepileptic drug after 4 weeks if the clinical signs have resolved (Rusbridge, Feline Orofacial Pain Syndrome: Face and tongue mutilation syndrome in Burmese cats, 2008). Gabapentin is excreted unchanged by the kidneys, are required in renal compromise (NEURONTIN® data sheet, 2007), therefore renal parameters (serum biochemistry and urine specific gravity) should be checked prior to commencing treatment. An example of how gabapentin can be used in a treatment plan for cats with feline orofacial pain syndrome is described below in the recommendations for treatment. It is important to bear in mind that pharmacokinetic studies of gabapentin in cats is lacking, and although the safety margins are high in humans and rodents (NEURONTIN® data sheet, 2007); it is not certain whether this is the case in cats. Therefore treatment should be started using low doses, and owners should be warned of the potential for adverse effects. More information about gabapentin (Neurontin ®) is available at the Medsafe Website (see works cited).
Quote:
she stayed at the vet for 2 weeks and he would not let me visit her so i have NO idea what the was done to her in that time.
I can't believe they didn't let you visit her during that time. That's outrageous and inhumane.

Quote:
I have no idea what any of these numbers mean
I'll leave the numbers for growler to comment on. The USG is probably the most important piece of the puzzle so hopefully you can get that value.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler