View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakhi View Post
So how much should i feed my cats per day?
It's hard to come up with a specific volume without knowing what the calories are of the food you're going to be feeding. There's a general guideline of 20-30 calories per pound of ideal weight, per day, give or take - depending on the individual cat. It may seem like a lot of work, but you could calculate an amount using a table like this: http://www.freecalorietable.com/search.php

Or you could guess that an oz of meat is going to be somewhere between 35-45 calories. So if a 5 lb adult needs 150 calories (or more) to gain weight they might need something like 4 or 5 oz of food. You could start with that and adjust depending on if the kitty is still acting hungry or if there's food left over. As you can see, it's not much of an exact science. There's a bit of trial and error until you work out what's best for your particular cats.

I didn't get a chance to mention how totally cute your kitties are. Love the black noses, and of course orange boys are guaranteed to be delightful.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler