View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Hello Ladybrietta:

Welcome to the forum.

I have a couple of suggestions that I hope will help you out. I do raw feeding and these are 3 sites that are worth taking a look at - there are a lot more of them, but these 3 I refer to quite often.

I am wondering with what little bit of info that you have posted, if your cat is suffering from food intolerance which is different than an allergy, and fits the symptoms that you have described better.

I would be tempted to work the cat into raw food over a period of time. Depending on the cats, some of them can take up to 3 months or better to transition to a raw diet. Hopefully a lot less time.

If it's a food intolerance, after a month or so, you should start to see improvement. If it is an allergic reaction, re protein problems, you're in the process of transitioning your cat to raw food and the ability to isolate all unwanted proteins and dwell on one protein at a time.ie. lamb, duck, etc.

It would be a wise idea to keep a running diary on the cat's food and its reactions to the food.

Something else you might want to consider is Milk Thistle to help rebuild the Liver cells. If you can, use a tincture made with a Glycerin extract rather than alcohol. Alcohol isn't good for cats, but in a pinch, it can be used. A rule of thumb for supplements is between1/8th to 1/10th of a human dose. For a cat of 10 pounds, you're looking at 1 to 3 drops. I would start at 1 drop and work up over a few days. Use it for 6 days, take one day off, to allow the system to rest and then do another 6 days, and see where you go from there.

I've used this before on a cat that had severe liver failure and was surprised at how well it worked. I would be trying to find a vet or someone in your area who is knowledgeable in alternative veterinary methods.

Re hypoallergenic foods, I have looked into them here and they are overly priced for what they seem to deliver. I've had a couple of vets recommend them and going over my feeding practices they felt I'd be better to stick with the raw food and one of the vets stated that they see less than a 50% cure rate with the hypoallergenic food.

In Catinfo.org, Dr Pierson has an article on prescription diets that's worth the read - it's the 3rd one down on the index on the right hand side.

Hopefully some of this info will be of some value to you. By the way, I find feeding raw a lot less expensive than canned cat food. for instance, my 10 pound cats get 50 to 55 gms per feeding, and my 14 pound cat gets around 65 to 70 grams. If the meat is purchased at a special price, it's well worth the transition to raw. And it cuts away back on vet visits.

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://holisticat.com/en/

http://feline-nutrition.org/

I'm so sorry. I just understand half of your post. English is not my native language.