View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM272 View Post
I have ivermectin for my livestock's worm/parasite treatment - will that work?
No, not for cats. It's a very bad idea to administer meds to cats that are meant for other animals. They're much more sensitive to dosages and ingredients and many drugs that are totally fine even for dogs, can be lethal to cats.

Quote:
Side Effects and Precautions
Dosages of Ivermectin contained within prescription medications are low. Side effects will not generally be of concern when these products are used properly and as directed. Products containing Ivermectin are available for cats, as well as other species including dogs, horses, cattle and small animals such as guinea pigs and rats. While you can purchase Ivermectin over-the-counter at local feed stores and through some online retailers, it is not recommended to do so for cats. Non-prescription Ivermectin contains high dosages used primarily for larger animals like cattle and horses, and is lethal to small animals.

Read more: Ivermectin for Cats - VetInfo

I personally wouldn't just randomly throw meds at the cats. Better to know what you're dealing with first, and to have the guidance of a vet

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler