View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Personally I feel we try to educate people as to the dangers of feeding grains/corn and byproducts in dry cat food more so than the expensive stuff. I know very well how difficult it is to try to make a pay cheque stretch to buy my cat food and pay my bills. Some months I don't make it and dip into the ol' credit cards. And that is buying the "cheaper" brands. I feed what I can afford.

BUT - with the help of this forum and a lot of reading and educating myself as to what is good/bad for my cats I know dry foods filled with grain/corn and tons of by products are only harming my cats. My cats go through close to 300 cans of food a week. That would be a mix of the cheaper foods, some Fancy Feasts, Performatrin Ultra, Wellness, and other good foods if I can find good deals on it. They get a small amount of dry to supplement but I make sure it is the best dry I can afford. I chose ones that do not have grain or corn in them. If you must feed dry then Kirkland brand from Costco is a better choice for people on a budget. The first ingredients in it is chicken. Not by products of chicken. Chicken. Not grain or corn. Even if you don't have a membership I would bet lots of your friends do and would be willing to pick up a bag. Please make sure your cat(s) always have plenty of fresh water available to them as they will be chronically dehydrated.

If you haven't had a chance to read this site then please take some time to read it. www.catinfo.org. In it you will find a comment that I personally, because of finances, go by. It is "The cheapest canned food is still better for your cat than the most expensive dry."

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; September 13th, 2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added some info