View Single Post
Old November 17th, 2014, 05:23 PM

Pilling Cats and Dogs - Should Read

I came across this article several years ago when I was treating a sick kitty and found the information extremely informative - information that is not shared on videos.

I think after reading it, it should give people some idea of how to medicate animals with capsules or pills and help prevent the royal fights with the animals to get the pill in. If the animal has had a bad experience with medications previously, they will recall it and react accordingly making it almost impossible to give it another pill or medications.

Dr. Lisa Pierson, who has the website, has done a very good job of explaining how to administer medications to animals and the hazards of giving them improperly, which can cause a lot of pain and suffering that we the care giver would have no idea about.

She explains in her article how the improper dosing can cause unnecessary pain and hardship, and in some cases - depending on the medication - even death to the animal. She goes into good detail on numerous methods of delivering medication, such as pill pockets and cheese. Below is a quote of the article and the web site.

Quote:
"After 5 minutes 84% of capsules and 64% of tablets are still sitting in the esophagus."
http://www.catinfo.org/?link=pillingcats

Hope the members find this informative and please pass the info on to other pet owners.