View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Stray/Feral Cat FRiendships With Your Dog?

Today I watched as the feral Tomcat sat in his feeding stand and watched as my dog sniffed around no more than three feet away from him and even looked right at him. The dog didn't bark or run at the cat, the cat placidly sat. There was a fence between them but it's only 30 inches high, the dog can easily jump it.

This is the fourth time a stray/feral has become friendly with my dog. Two other male cats with this same dog. We now have both those male cats. ONe is our pet, the other is still pretty leery of people. These two actually had face to face, head on, sniffing, body rubbing contact with the dog before they ever came close to us. Once before a live trapped female who we intended to spay then release to a barn, she was very wild. We ended up keeping her when she showed a marked desire to be close to our female dog.

What is with these stray/feral cats? I am sure dogs have chased them. What makes them think this dog will be a friend? Have you seen these kinds of interactions? Love to hear about them.