View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2006, 12:25 PM

She is a fantastic author and I hope to be just like her when I grow up. Seriously, I so envy her the ability to put together a 7-book series, leaving all sorts of clues along the way for her rabid fans to pick up and formulate theories on, keep the hundreds of characters and their relationships to one-another all straight and error-free (because her rabid fans would tear her apart if they found one mistake!), make up all sorts of imaginary spells and charms and other rules that apply only to this new "world" she's created, and still manage to throw it all together into an extremely entertaining story.

Those of you who haven't read all of the books might want to stay away because there are going to be some serious spoilers in this thread!

YES! Harry will survive the last book! He's the hero - he has to! Besides, there are all sorts of paralells (sp?) between this series and the Lord of the Rings. If Frodo can come out of the Cracks of Doom alive, then Harry can defeat Voldemort and live to tell the tale. I wholeheartedly believe Harry is destined to become Dumbledore's successor. So, he will have to defeat Voldemort (just like DD defeated the dark wizard Grindewald), the curse on the Defense Against the Dark Arts teaching position will be lifted, Harry will become the new DADA teacher when he graduates, and eventually go on to become the new Headmaster (in 50 or so years).

Is Dumbledore alive? Again, heck yeah! Another paralell - if Gandalf can come back from the dead, so can DD. About his portrait - it doesn't say anywhere that the pictures on the walls are of dead headmasters/mistresses, just that they're past headmasters/mistresses. Maybe that's why he was "sleeping" and refused to look up - because he didn't want to have to answer any questions from anyone just yet.

Personally, I think he's alive, and will work behind the scenes, without Harry knowing about it. Just like Gandalf did in LOTR. He worked to keep Sauron's attention diverted from Frodo's purpose. JKR has already said that we will see Harry into his 7th year at school, so we know the school will reopen and Harry et al will return to it. So, if Harry is supposed to be at school, studying hard for his Newts and learning all sorts of new ways to kill Voldemort, then I believe DD will be out in the world, undercover, trying to find and destroy the horcruxes (or, at least, leaving clues for Harry to find and destroy them, because I think it would be near impossible for Harry to find them all by himself, even with the help of his friends, while attending school full-time).

Phew! That took a lot out of me! Now I need another coffee!