View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2017, 09:54 AM

When you take her for a walk, do you use a harness or a leash? When you're biking with the dog running beside you, I suspect she's not reactive?

Try an experiment. Do you have an ipod or phone that you can load up with your favorite music? Use headphones, and play some music that you enjoy, get in the zone so to speak - and take the dog for a walk. Forget that you have a dog at the end of the leash, ignore the dog. See how she reacts around noises and such when you're distracted.

Male aggression is one of the best example of insecurity, and generally driven by humans - but not all the time. I spend alot of time in off leash parks, no fences or borders. One day, came around a blind turn, and spotted a lady with a black lab. As soon as she seen me, she leashed the dog and pulled back - painting a big target on me. She was insecure over what the dog would do to me, and at the same time - now the dog is in protect mode. I love working with these dogs on the spot, if the owners are willing.

Do you know anyone with an easy going and confident dog that you can borrow once in a while, a dog that can get along with yours? I find a confident mentor dog is the fastest and easiest way to instill confidence in dogs. My minpin is confident, and I find when we're off leash, insecure dogs tend to follow him. Even dogs that are nervous around people will follow his confidence to me. If you have the opportunity, take her and a mentor dog into a crowded environment - when she sees the mentor isn't afraid, you'll see changes in her.

I have no experience with social groups, but I can't see them being a bad thing. How about a good daycare once in a while? A place where she can hang out with dogs, be monitored etc.