View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybubbles65 View Post
My husband and I looked at a dog today at our local SPCA. She was a puppy mill dog that will need a lot of socialization but she was very sweet. I would have taken her home in a minute but they wanted $358 to adopt her. That's ridiculous! We can go get a pure bred puppy with no issues for that amount. I thought SPCA's were in the business of finding homes for their dogs not gouging people! The adoption fee at other branches of the SPCA and the Toronto Humane Society range from $150 to $220. That's a big difference. Looks like we will be taking a drive to the city to adopt a dog. I really feel strongly about adopting an older dog but how do they expect to find homes for them when they charge so much? Why such a huge difference in fees from shelter to shelter?
My purebred has cost hubby and I just under $25,000 and it's ongoing. Search my threads

Being purebred does not mean you will have no issues. In fact, if it comes from a backyard breeder (which is what it would be at anything under $2,000 typically), there is more of a risk in getting a puppy with health problems. What the SPCA is asking is very reasonable. If someone can't afford that fee, that probably can't afford to properly care for the dog

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012