View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Oops...

Maybe I should have put this in the pet health section.
I posted a question about raw bones just prior to this post, and I guess I was still in that frame of mind. Oops!
Anyway, to answer technodoll's question, I am feeding a commercial raw diet. I was too scared to do it myself as I feel like a dog dummy (Barkley is my first dog EVER, and I love him to death) and I was worried about not getting the right proportions, ingredients, textures etc. so we've started out with baby steps until we're more used to the whole concept of raw. We feed him ground chicken patties that have ground bones in them and a little sweet potato, kelp, apple cider vinegar, and apples. We also feed him raw chicken necks, organic eggs once a week (well, only once so far since he's only been on this diet for 1.5 weeks), and a little probiotic yogurt. We also sprinkle a digestive aid/probiotic on his breakfast and dinner and give him one salmon oil capsule per day. Yesterday we even introduced him to his first raw meaty bone and he just loved it We loved it too because it gave us peace and quiet for HOURS I thought it might give him runny poops today, but all was great! We're slowly starting to introduce different meats to him, and next week will be the first time he tries lamb tripe (we're waiting for the order to come in). Does it sound like we're doing this right? We're trying to take it slow because of all the problems he's had in the past with his digestive system.