View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor JD. I have recently dealt with the opposite problem, constipation in my 18 year old cat. I tried slippery elm bark too and I cooked it with homemade chicken or turkey broth. Assuming a cat with diarrhoea needs hydration just as much as a cat with constipation this may help and it certainly made it more palatable and it made it easier to serve. Cooked in plain water the SEB had the consistency of egg white, which is hard to separate by spoonsfuls. Plus there are some nutrients in the broth, some call it bone broth. I must say as well how surprised I was my cat did eat just the plain SEB powder mixed into her food. It smelled like a tree to me, I thought she'd turn her nose up, but she ate it.

If you try pumpkin, consider sweet potato as well. SP has six times the fibre of pumpkin so you need to get less into the cat to help firm things up. Start with an extremely small amount, a fraction of a teaspoon. Like us, introducing too much fibre too soon makes for loose stool. My cat wouldn't eat either pumpkin or sweet potato (both cooked) but she ate the SEB, you just can't figure cats.