View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2017, 10:05 PM

Hi Hazel:

You're right. Chewing will help to strengthen the teeth and gums. Years ago I had 2 Abbys that had Gingivitis and dental issues. It was recommended that I start them off with small amounts of raw meat - chicken, lamb, beef, whatever was at hand at the time - as well as to do a light massage on the gums with a finger to help stimulate blood flow in the gum area. This helped to relieve any inflammation. As time went on, give small pieces of raw chicken necks 2 or 3 times a week. I started by cutting the neck into quarter pieces and today I've upped it to into three pieces.

Something to remember is to warm the pieces up. Put them into a plastic poly bag in some warm water - it enhances the flavour and makes it more palatable for them. Do not use microwave for heating any animal food.

I was told years ago by one of our vets that using a microwave to warm or heat anything - even for humans - destroys the nutritional value of the food from the radiation.

We still have one kitty cat who loves to get her chicken neck pieces when we have them, and she is 9 years now. The bones are soft and you don't have to worry about there being any damage to the teeth, and the sinew works like floss to clean between the teeth. It's like giving dogs ox tails for their teeth for the same reason.