View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthedoghouse View Post
IMO, well said Bailey
it only takes a few seconds to explain to someone not to pet our pet, or "how to"
whereas someone could end up with a lifetime of scars if they didn't know not to...
I am for sure, from now on, even tho my Lucy is calm, still suggest to possible petters that she could jump at them etc. - after I warn the person, then it's up to them..... ??
Then what happens if Lucy bites the person? Do you say "I warned you?" Not trying to start an argument. Just saying. Where do you draw the line? You can say to the animal enforcement officer who shows up at your door to pick up Lucy "I warned them". Is that going to make a difference on whether or not Lucy goes with the officer? It's your word against the person who Lucy bit. The person is the victim so therefore their word will most likely be taken as law, right? I would imagine you would fight for your Lucy. Doesn't sound like this woman will if the decision is made to put her dog down.
I'm still on the fence with all of this. I don't believe a 12 year old dog should be put down. There had to have been a reason behind the bite. There always is. Maybe he felt the greeter was going to harm his owner. Maybe the greeter touched him in a spot that hurt. No one knows nor will they likely take the time to find out. I also agree the dog should not be in the store. IMO stores are not a place for dogs - unless they are service dogs. People simply can not do their shopping and still pay full attention to their dog. That is a recipe for disaster.
On the flip side - I feel a bit for the person who was bitten. She was irresponsible in petting a dog she really didn't know but she paid the price. Should she insist the dog be put down? I don't think so. She has to bear some responsibility. I am quite sure she will get her medical paid for somehow. That's what her lawyer will be for.
As for the owner of the Tzu - she's the real winner in all of this. It's too bad her dog will likely pay the price for her not wanting to take responsibility for its' actions.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!