View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Furball Farmer

I grew up on a farm and we had outside cats that had kittens a lot (back then spaying was not something many people did). Anyway the cats would have their kittens in random places to "hide" them from predators and humans.

We found that the more we touched and played with the newborns momma cat would pack them up and move them, so once again we had to track down her new hiding spot. When you touch the newborns you leave your scent on them and a lot of feral or outside cats do not like this, it attracts to much attention to them.

I am not saying don't handle them, I am just suggesting to you why she may have moved them.
In fact now that they are getting older and can see, you should spend more time trying to socialize them with humans. This will greatly increase your chances of re-homing them with potential adopters as they will be friendly,since it is very easy for an outside litter to become scared and untrustworthy of strangers and other pets.
We would also try to leave out cat food softened in warm water to give them an easy start to eating real cat food,sometimes we added powdered milk to it for flavor (they love this ) and leave a litter box filled with wood shavings or cheap kitty litter for them just so they can get the feel of what it is and they may start to use it (another bonus for trying to get them adopted is if they are sort of litter trained!)

Good Luck and thank goodness they have someone looking out for them,it is too sad the amount of feral cats there are.
Hopefully these kittens will get a good chance at a decent life!!
They are way too adorable by the way, should have no problems finding them homes.