View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll just throw in my 2c here about inhibitors, etc. A lot of it also depends on the genetics of the individual. Some genetics may speed up processing. In some individuals, it if they aren't processing it right, it won't be an inhibitor, and often you just have to try things and see how the individual responds. I'm glad that the urine checked out - sometimes, particularly with a free catch, things can be very different than with the cysto.

Lots of false negatives on tick diseases, but if the bloodwork is stable, you're in good shape. I couldn't remember what the thyroid stuff was all about, I think it was borderline low at some point, but sometimes you have to just monitor and see if it changes over time. I don't recall it being convincingly low normal. Sometimes they really do have to get worse thyroid-wise before you can get them better. True for humans too. (I believe it is true that low thyroid can increase ALT, but much more likely that is from the metacam.) My GSD was low normal, but consistently near the bottom end and treating worked wonders for him. I would suggest just regularly testing to watch for changes and keeping a spreadsheet so you can notice any pattern.

I hope that the rehab appt goes well. They say for the joint supplements it takes 2-3 months before you see a good effect. I've always noticed it much sooner in both me and the dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazanne View Post
You comment on the CBD Hemp Oil interests me as I really believed it was a good approach for her. But I certainly do not want to risk it having a negative effect of any kind. The Zylkene is difficult to gauge at the moment as she is not on it long enough to see if it is have a positive impact or if it is making no impact at all.
You don't know unless you try it!!! And the CBD did work for Jazz and helped her through a few things, it's just that it made her "over the top" the longer she took it. I would consider trying it here again, but dose less frequently.

Quote:
Can I ask you a couple of questions on the other points you raised in your reply? I give her probiotics regularly but not daily and I use the Dr. Mercola brand as this was recommended to me. However, just a couple of days ago I saw a comment somewhere that this brand is not that good so now I am at a loss as to whether to continue with it or, more importantly, what to replace it with?
I am a big fan of the mercola pet probiotics. They have helped jazz here a lot and I use them regularly, and she has IBD, lupus, and lymphangiectasia, along with other issues. I do also feed sauerkraut ground in her meal (as a prebiotic), and I rotate in these two probiotics: https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-64502...rt-30-softgels and https://www.amazon.com/Probiotic-Sup...SIN=B006I7AT78 Some probiotics will increase histamine in the body and these shouldn't. For Jazz here, this combination works well for her.

Quote:
You also mention Boswellia and Yucca and, while I know the names, I know nothing about them. Where are they available from, how are they administered, are they given long term, it is a choice of one or the other of them and which one is more successful and most easily tolerated. And, finally, if it is not being tolerated why symptoms indicate that?
You also mention Alpha Lipoic Acid and you have lost me completely there as I am not familiar with it at all. How effective/beneficial is it? Where is it available? Is there a canine version of it? Is it easily tolerated?
And, needless to say, I have similar questions about non-GMO Sunflower Lecithin as, once again, I am unfamiliar with that too.
Boswellia and Yucca are anti-inflammatories and I've given both in pill form. Vitamin C is also anti-flammatory for the joints and I use powder for that, though with Jazz I put it in a capsule (the GSD would eat anythihng I put in his bowl). So when looking at joint supplements, there are often two types. Some that just include the nutritients for the health of the joints, and some that also include herbals, etc., for greater anti-inflammatory effect. The more pronounced the degenerative changes, typically you need more for inflammation, thus often the need for two different kinds of joint support.

The alpha-lipoic acid is great for any nervous system disorder, and I've found it helps a lot with joint pain. The nerve pain from joint issues I think is often under-rated. The main thing you have to be careful is that it will lower blood sugar, but I've never had an issue with that here.

The lecithin helps to emulsify fats and also provides an important form of choline: https://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-lecithin.html , https://draxe.com/what-is-soy-lecithin/ I am using non-gmo sunflower lecithin (jazz is allergic to soy), and I initially started it to help with jazz's tremors/seizures, which I think it does, since with this and the lipoic acid, I had them completely eliminated. When I stopped the lecithin and slowed on the lipoic, the returned after exercise. I tried the phosolipid supplements but they didn't help as much as the pure lecithin granuales.

Quote:
...did you add anything to your dogs combination of pork and green beans? Did you add any carbs at all or how did you make a filling meal from those two ingredients? Did you add any supplements (calcium, iron, manganese, iodine, Vitamins E and D) as these all form part of her current diet in order to keep it balanced.
No, no carbs from grains or starches other than the carbs found in the veggies. She had extensive allergies and pancreas issues and couldn't tolerate very much. She was just on a high protein diet with LOTS of green beans. I did add other things for balance, but they were all supplements and not foods.