View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhynes View Post
Liver is packed with a specific vitamin, squash is high in the same vitamin. That vitamin is A, you might want to put your research skills to work on that one.

Squash itself is 9% fiber from sugars and carbs. If your dog is having skin issues, this won't get you to the bottom of it. Get rid of sugars and carbs. Do you really want to feed sugar and carbs to a dog with pancreatitis? The organ responsible for producing insulin?
I have put my research skills to use as it happens.

My dog gets 5% squash and 15% veg/fruit - 80% meat/bone/organ.
Her mild pancreatic episodes were caused by high fat content in food - as is the case with most pancreatic patients. Her vet is aware of her history and a 5% serving of squash daily is well within her tolerance limits - in fact it poses no risk.
Secondly, vitamin A is excellent for the coat/skin in canines and, at the proper levels which she is getting, is of benefit to her for her particular skin issue. She is also on a balancing liquid homeopathic remedy.

I am working with a highly reputable conventional/homeopathic vet with many years of experience. I didn't pull this diet out of the sky without ensuring that it was right for my dog at this time. I have had my dog tested for allergy triggers in her diet by Glacier Peak Holistics so I am pretty certain that all of the ingredients she is eating in her food are suitable for her. That is why her elimination diet is so rigid and carefully selected by her vet.

I posted my comment to give the original poster my own personal account, not to contradict other people who may know better than me, or to state that my approach is better than others, or to run my views down their throat. It was my understanding that this is one of the primary purposes of these discussions threads. I have gotten very valuable information on here from other peoples experiences on here, including you on several occasions Rhynes.

I did NOT post it to have the advice of my vet undermined or questioned. I am doing what I believe to be right in my dogs best interest at this point after a long a tiresome road of test after test that gave no answers.