View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Slave to the Kitties

Quote:
Second time, mom had no maternal instincts whatsoever
Alot of times that happens with young mothers or first time litters. I have had mothers that dont wash them either, and i have had to clean them. They grow with experiance , but nobody want them to keep having many litters just to learn how to take care of there kittens. :sad:

Quote:
First time, mom didn't have enough milk, as the vet told me when I got there after one kitten died... I had to feed them myself, but to no avail. The sturdiest survived up to 3 weeks, but that was it.
This can happen with a real young mother, and a senior cat also. Unfortunetly its hard to raise them from birth unless you can be there at all times for feeding, etc. :sad:

Quote:
The SPCA foster program girls told me it was just bad luck and it's normally easy... but would they lie to me just hoping I continue to help? I truly don't think so... But I'd really like to hear about others who fostered queens...
It can be easy if you get a female that has had kittens before and isnt too old
but every pregnancy can have complications. I have never lost kittens if they were 3 weeks or older, till recently. No matter what i did, i just couldnt save him. Unfortunetly that is how it is, you never know what your going to have till you get it. :sad:
I would try to keep fostering if you can, it can be very heart braking, i have several good cry's a summer because of losing kittens, or problems with stray mothers that come in the area. But i still feel like i am helping, so it may be worth it.