View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Floppy Dog

I have an American Cocker Spaniel that I groom from time time time. If you are going to buy grooming clippers, I highly recommend the Oster ones. They are expensive, about $300 but you will more than make up for it over the lifetime of your dog. In addtion, I recommend the Oster metal guards (the comb-like gizmo that's attached to the cutting blade housing) rather than the spring-loaded plastic ones. The metal guards have to be screwed on rather than clipped on and this eliminates having fur caught and tugged while grooming (experience talking). If you are going to give your Schnauser (?) the classic cut, you may also want a set of clippers with a narrow cutting blade to do the face. I have found from personal experience that the feet are the hardest to do. I have also found that having a taller work surface (kitchen counter hight) is much easier on the back than stooping to reach a table, for instance. You will also want a good pair of curved, blunt tipped scisors for trimming delecate and wrinkly areas (inside ears, around eyes and mouth, between pads) and have them regularly sharpened.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.