View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I don't feed tuna, but does that include salmon? My guys would have a hard time giving up salmon....
Oops, I just saw this now. I think it depends. Salmon, like tuna, is high in magnesium and phosphorus, which can be one factor (among others) in cats with bladder or kidney issues. So if we're talking about a cat that has suffered blockages or UTIs in the past, I tend to be less flexible about feeding any fish. However, occasional treats of human grade canned or fresh salmon are totally fine for most cats. The problem with salmon cat food flavours tends to be the source of the fish, which, lets face it, isn't going to be sushi grade wild Alaskan salmon. It's going to be the dregs of the fishing (or rather, fish-farming) industry. That opens up a whole new set of problems, like toxin levels and environmental ethics. Here's some more info: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...ngerousforcats

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler