View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2016, 12:33 AM

Unhappy please help!! first time dealing with a URI in my cat!

hey guys, so i got a new kitten about 5 days ago... she looked fine and absolutely adorable, but because she got driven 2 hours and an overnight trip just to come to me, she had a long nap and when she woke up her nose was drippy sorta cloudy looking discharge. i had to wait 2 days to see a vet as it was easter weekend and it was only open on saturday... well i took her to the vet and the vet said she looked healthy(minus her URI, which wasnt even that bad to begin with) so i got her first shot(vet told me to wait on rabies since we dont know if she is 12w yet or not!) and a shot of antibiotics that lasts 2 weeks. the vet actually told me i didnt need antibiotics and that she could fight this on her own(i knew she did because she had green boogers) its now been 2 days and it seemed like she was getting better yesterday but today she seems to be sneezing more... barely any nose discharge or eye discharge but she does sound stuffy. she is playing like a kitten would, eating and drinking fine-ive been watching her- and just overall doesnt seem like she is sick other then the breathing sounds. she IS NOT breathing from her mouth, just her nose. this is my first time dealing with a URI so any help would be amazing.

my questions are:
-when will i notice signs of her getting better?
-i have 2 adult cats(one was vaccinated about 3 years ago and the other isnt vaccinated at all-dont critisize as they are my bf and his gmas cats, and now that his gma passed away i plan on vaccinating them all!) my one is not stressed about my kitten being here and one is(one that has been at least vaccinated) the non vaccinated one is showing no signs of a URI, but the highly stressed one did a coulple of sneezes and scratches throughout the day, is it possible that my non vaccinated cat wont catch this? i should mention they have been in conatct with her as i had no clue the first night she was here and the vet told me quarrantining her seems pointless.
-how will she get better if she is locked away with all her germs?
-her poops look really good too, she did have the runs because of the shots so i got scared but like i said it seems to be getting wore instead of better... no 'coughing' or puking as of now, did i catch it in time?

thank you everyone, your help is so appreciated as i know nothing about this!