View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Mickey, my angel

It is not unusual for a cat to try to find a place to hide when it finds itself in a strange place with strange people, but it will usually come out when no one is around.

However, the height of that opening does very much concern me and it could very well be that, although in his fear, with the adrenaline flowing, he somehow managed to squeeze himself in, he may be finding it quite impossible to get back out.

I would definitely not try to pull him out through such a small opening. As you said he could become seriously injured by attempting to do that. You may very well end up having to enlarge the opening somehow as catlover2 suggested. At least he is able to eat and drink and I hope there is a reasonable amount of space inside there for him to move around in the meantime. You could try doing what catlover2 suggested with a live trap. If it is possible for him to squeeze back out, he will.

You might first want to try leaving some really irresistable food (canned tuna or temptation treats for example, which most cats love) just far enough out of reach that he will have to come out to get it and see if that will encourage him to squeeze himself out of there. Hopefully you won't have to resort to demolition work on your stairs. Good luck and please let us know how things work out.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; August 26th, 2010 at 11:20 PM.