View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I would strongly advocate that both you and your mom go to group obedience training for as many sessions as possible when you come in. Then let your mom go alone with the dog till the course ends. This course is mostly for your mom. There's a lot going on in your household, likely more than you've written. You want a GOOD trainer, so ask a vet or someone else that you trust for a referral. Do NOT do a blind search.

Good trainers see similar problems daily, and this will give your mom (through your encouragement by going with her) a chance to ask the trainer all kinds of other questions.... the trainer will also give your mom hands on training, and likely suggest other tips (like no free feeding for aggressive dogs).
Once your mom learns, knows and acts like she is the leader of the house, the dog's behaviour will change. I'd bet hard on that fact....but she needs to learn this hands on from a professional and I hope I'm not being too personal, but I think you should pay for the training, not your mom.
Hope that helps - Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter