View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
...you BB'ers sure don't let a person down /. I so appreciate the sooo kind and supportive comments. I haven't felt such helplessness, and grief, and anger, for a while; those two critical days with Monte at death's door really ripped me open.

It was such a relief to have 'Rescue Brenda' sail in on the second day, to sweet talk the family into signing poor Monte over, and have a trailer on the way. We knew he was in bad shape, but she's seen a lot; we were so hopeful he would make it.

Less than an hour before that gallant, so terribly mistreated horse went down, he visited with us, sniffing my face; he had such a weary, but kind aspect. And then, gone. He'd had SUCH a difficult life, working so hard, and being treated badly throughout the years.

Yet, those who emailed me, who knew him on the track at Ft. Erie, etc., all said he was a big sweetie...Monte was failed by pretty much EVERYone in his life-even me. Yes, he was in better shape in October, and his looney 'saviour' (that's rich) and her family had me running for cover, after providing food/blacksmith/advice.

If, if, if. If only. I would sooo wade in there, and hang the consequences. Winston, I like what you said about Monte opening a door...I am darn well walking through it. I may have to moderate my current 'avenging angel' feelings, but I've already taken some steps.

Partly because of the high profile thread on 'the' horse BB, when I desperately sought help last week, the South. Ont. Thoroughbred Ass. is moving on developing a 'second career' program, out of Ft. Erie. Monte Devil is free of pain, and cruel humans, but his name lives on-along with his spirit.

I also met a really nice 'horsey' neighbour, who has 3 rescued standardbreds, and knows 'Rescue Brenda' well; we're going to work on some local stuff. She too, saw Monte in the early fall as she drove by...and wishes she'd stopped. ...RIP, Monte, Unforgotten.

On a bit of a lighter note (for a heavy hearted time), Tally is doing very well; every day, his assimilation into the household moves ahead. He is still a very BUSYBUSY boy, i.e. "Who WAS that masked cat?? He's in the kitchen, he's in the living room...he's TALLYMAN !!" Wowza.

I thought I was on track for the holidays, sort of, until today; I suddenly thought, OMG. So, lots to do, but wanted to wish EVERYONE-both 2 and 4 legged-a good holiday, and all the best. I'll post some pics of Tally and Sadie, in one of their nutty WWF 'cage matches'...