View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digston View Post
I've never heard of anyone doing a hysterectomy before; It was always just ovariectomy or ovariohysterectomy. From someone who is just learning of hysterectomy's being performed in animals, I believe that the controversy is based on the fact that we know estrogen plays a role in many reproductive system cancers. That every heat cycle an animal goes through increases the chances of mammary, ovarian, and uterine cancers. The research into estrogen loss causing shortened life spans is still relatively new in respects to vet med (And appears to be mostly based on studies with Rottweilers).

IMO, without the science to back the benefits of leaving the ovaries, this will remain a topic of varied opinion. The known benefits of removal outweigh the possible benefits of not.

Heck, even when the research is sound and the theory proven, I bet there will still be controversy. Just as there is now between spay advocates and anti-spay crazies <-- another of my opinions People cray cray, yo! (That last sentence is a result of my brain melting down from too much studying... I'm pretty sure that finals are causing me to lose intelligence rather than gain it)

BTW what breed of dog do you have? Perhaps it's a cat! Oh what a twist that would be!
I have a deeply devoted and loving 2yo Dutch Shepherd. Thanks for asking.

Here are some additional, evidence-based resources addressing the risks and benefits of spaying/neutering:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rootk001/gonadectomy.pdf
Determining the optimal age for gonadectomy of dogs and cats
Margaret V. Root Kustritz 2007

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs
Laura J. Sanborn 2007

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0055937
Neutering Dogs: Effects on Joint Disorders and Cancers in Golden Retrievers
Lynette A. Hart et al. 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Menopause in humans is something that occurs naturally. In my readings its unusually early, medical, surgical or natural, menpause that seems to have the most negative side effects. And that's what we do to dogs and cats by spaying. And it doesn't seem to be quite the same for cats, not as bad.

Dr. Karen Becker has a fairly new Youtube out where she cries about all the dogs she now feels she needlessly urged neutering on. I'll see if I can find it and post.
It is interesting that it may not be the same in cats, but given how much gene similarity there is between dogs and humans, it would be presumptuous to consider human studies do not have any relevance to dogs. After all, most of what we have learned about human physiology and pathophysiology in the last 10-15 is deeply rooted in studies with mice; and about gene regulation in studies with fruit flies.
Attached Images