View Single Post
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:32 AM

Unhappy Cat not eating after taking prednisolone?

Hi there, I'm new here and I hope people still use this site, I need help

My 11-year-old cat, Prince, started wheezing every few days, about a month and a half ago. I took him to the vet, who took an x-ray and said it was feline asthma, and prescribed prednisolone for a month. My cat's breathing, weight and fever were all normal.

Prince took prednisolone for 2 weeks and during the third week it was half a pill, then the fourth week, half a pill every two days. During the third week, he gradually ate less and less, and started throwing up a lot whenever he did eat. He was still playing with my other pets but eventually he wouldn't even drink milk or the new cat food I bought (both wet and dry). He slept a lot more and seemed to be hunched up when he lay down sometimes.

I took him back to the vet, who took a blood test and an ultrasound of his stomach. There was nothing to be found, except a low amount of white blood cells, which the vet said may be due to two rotten teeth my cat has ? But he also said rotten teeth should not keep him from eating.

So we stopped the prednisolone about 2 weeks ago, before the end of the fourth week. For a day or two he was eating a bit again and sleeping less. But a few days after that, he stopped eating again and threw up twice. He also wheezed a few times too.

We waited for a while longer, he hasn't wheezed anymore and stopped throwing up, but he still wasn't eating much, for two weeks now! The vet prescribed anti-nausea medicine and antiobiotics, but all he will eat is milk and a little yogurt or cheese. He used to be a glutton I'm so worried.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the long read.