View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Raw Fed 11 yo female cat with elevated creatinine levels - what to do?

Hi there,

I'm new here - I hope ya'll don't mind me jumping right in there and asking for help.

I have two cats - one 16yo male and a 11yo female who's deaf. They were both raised on commercial food, until I switched to the raw food diet about two years ago, when my 16yo male was diagnosed with diabetes. He received insulin shots for approx. a year, until I gave up giving them to him since he was not tolerating them anymore. Kept having his blood tested, to make sure he was doing well... Turned out the blood sugar levels were back within normal range - so he has been in remission for about a year now.

I took the 11yo cat to the vet, because she's been peeing outside her box for a while now. I know it can be related to many things, so the blood/urine tests at the vet was the first step to try and discover if there was a medical reason for her to do that. Turns out she has elevated creatinine values (forgot to ask the vet about the number, but the vet did say the number was low), which suggests some various level of kidney problems. She also had a bit of protein in her urine. But other than that, her tests were good. The vet, of course, mentioned that the high protein content of the raw food diet was not helping, and that it might be wise to switch her back to a senior commercial diet, she suggested G/D.

What I feed them:

-Grounded raw meaty bones mixed with either chunks or grounded raw meat (turkey, chicken, salmon), egg yolk, salmon oil, cod liver oil, Vit A, Vit B complex, Vit E, taurine (or hearts when I have them fresh), a little bit of phsyllium husk but not always. They also get goat's milk as a treat.

Any of you have any suggestion in regards to modifications I could bring to the diet? I really want to keep her on the raw food diet, but I don't want to tax her system either.

Feel free to past this along to anyone you think could help!

Thanks so very much!