View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Oh, I was just telling a friend we have visitors like that too . I think it's even worse when friends believe us less than strangers do until one of the dogs gives them a warning on top of ours .
Ummm, LP, I meant our friend here was literally deaf, i.e. had a hearing problem. So embarrassing. She just didn't hear my warning. Oops! Maybe I should have mimed it? Anyway, she let him jump up, she patted him and before I could do anything his feet hit the ground and she was bitten. I think her husband was annoyed by her deafness and having this happen. He shouldn't have been because the outward appearance of the dog would have fooled anyone into thinking he was friendly.

14+, this, below, seems to mean training IMO.
[Quote]
Do you raise your cattle dogs differently than here in my little part of the world? [end Quote]

To suggest there is one way of breeding for show dogs or pets is wrong, they all carry the same genes. We try to breed for correct temperament I suppose, and value it because of how fearless and strong minded this breed has to be for working and guarding . I know that one year a Judge at our Melbourne Royal show annoyed everyone by choosing the friendliest, lick your face type of young male as her winner, while all the exhibitors said that was NOT true cattle dog temperament!
You should take a look at the American forums for ACD enthusiasts and the very serious and severe warnings occassionally handed out to newbies joining and asking if this breed would suit them and their lifestyle. A lot only want pets. Point is that I read about the American dogs and laugh, they could be writing about my own. They do have a heck of a lot going for them too you know or they wouldn't be so darn popular.