View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Oh, one idea I was considering is to build a small agility course in our yard. Chase has that awesome border collie speed and agility - loves to jump and weave and spin. I thought it would be great for exercise, mental stimulation AND to make our yard time more productive than "let's go out and charge the bassetts"

Thoughts????
Absolutely great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Also, since we don't seem to have problems on leash, would it help to introduce him to more dogs on walks? We usually just ignore them, since that is better for Kailey due to her leash issues.....but I don't know that it has done Chase any favours. I usually walk Chase and DH takes Kailey, so they could carry on while I let him socialize a little....? I don't know....too much too soon? I think he's at his worst in "his" territory.....neutral seems to be okay, unless there's a male humping his sister that is
I'm afraid I see two potential problems with this. First, if they're both being walked together (even with two separate people) and Kailey is uncomfortable, she's giving off all sorts of signals that Chase can read. If she's anxious/fearful/aggressive, he's going to feed off of it and may not react as if he were on his own without that influence. It's exactly what happened with Penny and Lucky when we used to walk them together when they were first adopted. Lucky being terribly fearful of approaching strangers made Penny wary of them. And the more we kept it up because we had no clue at the time, the worse it got before it was pointed out to me.

Second, dogs meeting face-to-face (especially on leash) is not safe as it's not how they would naturally greet. You could unknowingly be forcing a confrontation between two dogs.