View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Heroes everyone

I would like to say that all dogs used in all the services are heroes in my eyes. They do what they are asked to do without question. There is no right or wrong in the dogs eyes, that judgment will always fall upon the person at the other end of the leash.

I once got lost on a web search and discovered a site on 'war dogs'. In Vietnam these dogs were left behind at the end of the war. An unbefitting end. They were so effective at saving lives that the bounty on a US service dog was far higher than that on a uniformed soldier.

There were objections to a memorial at the mall in Washington as the bodies of men lay there and some find that disrespectful. In the eyes of those who served with them that is where they truly belong. Still there are plans for a national monument.

Will dogs be left behind again or just thrown out to pasture? No, Bill Clinton finally signed a piece of legislation allowing qualified service persons to adopt them at the end of their work life.

Sorry to take it off topic but these dogs do deserve our admiration.

BTW: I do not understand however how so much time and money can be spent on a dog and a vest to protect it has to be donated by some child's fundraising effort. This was the recent case in a Canadian city.