View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Resident Evil!

k9 cops, those magnificent beasts

K9 dogs, those intriguing creatures that, sniff out bombs, drugs, locate children, protect and serve, and so much more, have always amazed me. How do they do it?

It was suggested that, Rescue dogs could be used as K9 cops, is there truth to this? Many dogs that end up in rescues/shelters have suffered a trauma of some sorts, whether it be beatings, isolation, or just simple rejection of their owner, they have suffered a traumatic experience. Traumatic experiences can lead to severe psychological issues in a dog. Much like humans who can suffer 'trauma related amnesia', dogs too, can suffer the very same affliction. I've heard repeatedly that, dogs have no memory, I disagree with this to some extent. Dogs remember through instinct, they do have memory, it just manifests itself in the animals 'instinct for survival'. A dog that is severely beaten will, most likely, end up 'hand shy'. These dogs can be retrained, but their underlying psychological afflictions will remain, even if it's in the 'back of it's mind', rendering the dog a 'smoking gun'.

What makes a good K9/protection dogs? What temperament do they require? What age does training begin? Does training a dog for protection make some of these larger breed dogs more stable? These are just a few questions I would like to discuss.

Dar.