View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM

I have seriously mixed feelings about this. If he weren't going to be such a public figure, no one would care all that much. But because he and his family can now have almost zero privacy, they'll be open to discussion and questioning so intense that most people wouldn't be able to tolerate it. Goes with the job - yet I still feel sorry for the girls, being subjected to such scrutiny. So, as another poster pointed out, any choice they make (about almost anything they do) will be condemned somehow. They're going to be living essentially in a glass house.

I'm not a fan of these designer breeds either. The trend bothers me, and I think many of them are just plain silly. But animals have been crossbred and hybridized throughout human history. My daughter owns a Morab mare. My dearly-departed Duck Toller's breed resulted from crosses among several types of retriever and maybe even spaniels and setters. I think the issue is mainly connected to the social-status aspects of designer doggies, and the foolish names people are giving to these so-called "breeds", especially the ones with Poodle in them. Labradoodle. Terri-poo. Cockapoo. Yuck!

I'm not so sure there will be a rise in "doodle" popularity - not if the average dog owner is confronted with the exorbitant prices being charged for these mutts with their cutesy names. Who can afford $2200?? Let's hope this turns out to be the case.

It will be interesting to follow this story, anyhow. Good topic for a thread!