View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Kitty Consort

Thanks for your input, all.

I recommended the flea-comb method, with a bowl of water- instead of the bath, and they opted to do that. As all my cats are light in colour.. I just do a "visual" check for fleas, but I know these types of combs work well.
In just a few days, this little kitten is seeing the vet anyway, and should be ok to start on the Advantage very soon after.

Safyre, I had posted about bathing my cat recently, asking for tips on this. Maybe that is the thread you were meaning.

Of my three long-haired cats, only one of them is ever bathed - and that's only two or three times a year. Even for a Persian, he has an extra-long extra-thick massive coat - like a woolly bear. It seems more fur than he can look after himself, and I like to "freshen him up" every so often

I personally believe that the "average" healthy cat- short or long haired - are able to look after their own daily hygiene very nicely and that baths are neither necessary or desirable.
It's very true that if you DO plan on bathing your cat on a regular and ongoing routine, starting them as young kittens is mandatory.
Many show cats, for example, are bathed and blow-dried every four weeks. some even more. Accustomed from kittenhood on, they handle this with ease.

But if its only an "occassional" bath they are having - they wont remember the last one.
The last cat bath I tried two weeks ago was a fiasco. He sure didnt recall his Christmas bath, but was traumatized and terrifed He wound up scratching my arm quite severely. A stressful and trying experience for both of us- I was sorry I embarked on it. :sad:
So, barring an emergency - I'm not planning on putting my guy through this ordeal again. I'll continue with his daily combing, and use a wet cloth or spray wipe-down if I feel he needs a freshening up.