View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:42 AM

Though I do appreciate and even agree with your response, the kitten had no mother when I agreed to take her. She was found as an orphan. I do feel that the person who sold her to me is probably crooked and I shouldn't have paid her a dime, but what is done is done and I don't think this kitten would be getting any of the care she needed had I not taken her home. As you mentioned, I have not introduced the kitten to my adult cat, and do not plan on doing so until I am absolutely sure she is not contagious with anything (even though Irie is brimming with curiosity).

Assuming everything goes well and I am able to nurse the kitten to good health, I can assure you she will never be an outdoor cat. I am just trying to get rid of all the nasties that she has now. On the topic of the worms, which most kittens have, from what I have read de-worming is generally done on more than one occasion due to the fact that the life cycle of roundworms occurs partly outside of the GI tract and therefore are not effected by de-worming treatments until they reach that stage. Consequently, de-worming treatments are given about every two weeks up until a certain age.

As for the yogurt, I have tried that. She wouldn't touch it. I even put a dab on her nose to get her to taste it and it was a no-go. Can I ask why you think the foods my vet suggests are not appropriate? I must admit I have tried a couple different brands with her. The woman that gave her to me was feeding her dry Purina kitten chow, so I started with that. She ate it at first, but then for some reason refused to eat it after the third day. Then I tried wetting it with chicken broth and even Pedialyte, which she ate a little bit of, but not much. Then I tried mixing it with canned Purina kitten food, which worked out pretty well, but she kept having so much diarrhea I felt like more poop was coming out of her than food was going in. Then the vet suggested the low-residue Iams to help fight the diarrhea. She's been eating that for about a day, but I don't plan on using it much more because it is not specially formulated for kittens' needs. I had just bought 10 cans of Science Diet for kittens, but I will look in to this Wellness brand.

As for the sanitation of my bathroom, I can assure you I did not put the kitten on a floor still wet with bleach. That is disgusting and irresponsible. I don't know if you are familiar with coccidia, but it is highly contagious and proper sanitation is a must. My vet advised me to use the diluted bleach daily as well as using baby wipes to clean her paws and hind-end.

I agree that the meds seem like a lot, but she was a very sick kitten from the start and I am not giving her anything my vet has not prescribed.

I really am trying my best.

On a good note, she is still extremely active and playful. She has started this toe-biting thing, which I am not too fond of, but I assume it is probably due in part to all of her pent of energy from being isolated. =/ She also has a very good appetite. Actually, I have to make sure not to give her too much food in one sitting. I made that mistake once and she ate so much she threw it all up, so I feed her about 4 small meals each day.
Attached Images