View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:11 AM

So you're starting off from scratch with a new vet, and they are doing the typical food trial protocol. Every vet I've encountered will do that irregardless. We spent 3 years doing food trials just to satisfy vets protocols, kibble after kibble til we ran out of options. Then I had to do raw food trials, not easy to find meats that aren't in kibble. Found wild bison and a couple of other proteins from guys that hunt in the US. That poor dog was poked and prodded. List of symptoms so long and ever growing, really got worried that we were going to find him dead on the floor one morning.

Cooked fat is a culprit in pancreatitis, raw fat not so much. Rendered fat in dog food isn't good. I gave the Pin a whole cooked turkey wing as a treat. Off to the vet, told to let it run it's course. poor dog spent 2 days in bed shaking like a leaf - pancreatitis, didn't poop, wouldn't eat. Yet, raw fat has never affected him.

I do prey model raw which isn't easy with a small dog, hard to maintain balance. Make my own offal pucks from every organ I can source - I liquefy them, mix them and freeze them as ice cubes. Stinks to the high hills, but dogs love them. Tried a commercial raw product for a month out of convenience, but i don't know whether to trust the food or not - some commercial raw producers are pushing products like kelp and colloidal silver daily for dogs - doesn't give me much hope.

Most dogs have chronic intolerance built up over years, allergy is not that common in dogs - and many of the tests aren't really accurate anyway. My current Pin is alleric to wheat, garners an immediate reaction - watery eyes, sneezing, reverse sneezing, canon butt. Trying to keep people from feeding treats isn't that easy with a small cute dog. Kibble isn't an option anyway.

I would do a synthroid trial, even for just a few days. Thyroxine is one of those hormones that dances with most organs in the body. If synthroid makes any positive changes, now you have a real starting point - it may not be hypothyroidism but something else down the line. Just that little push over the line is sometimes all it takes. It never ceases to amaze me how something dosed in micrograms can do so much to the body.