View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM View Post
I spent 5 hours there, saw 5 different doctors...and walked away with a diagnosis of Progressive Polyarthritis.
At least you have something to go on now.

Quote:
I have just gotten home, exhausted and emotionally drained so haven't even begun to learn about the 'new' disease my boy has.
I did find some info on how it might be related to a retrovirus called Feline Syncytia-Forming Virus (FeSFV), and how that virus might have a tenuous connection with FLUTD, which I thought was rather interesting.
http://www.familyvet.com/Cats/Imune.html

Quote:
CHRONIC PROGRESSIVE POLYARTHRITIS

Progressive polyarthritis is a disease characterized by joint damage in young or older cats. While this is considered an immune mediated disease, there may be a link to feline leukemia virus and its relative, Feline Syncytia-Forming Virus. (FeSFV) All cats with the disease have been found to be positive for FeSFV and over 60% are positive for FeLV. Immune complexes (clumps of antibodies and antigens) related to these viruses seem to be involved with causing the damage related to the disease.

There are two classifications of the disease; a surface inflammation of the bones and joints most common in young male cats and severe joint deformity most often seen in older cats. Besides damage and inflammation of multiple joints which gets worse over time (hence the name), clinical signs include fever, weight loss, loss of appetite, muscle wasting, lameness and joint swelling. Diagnosis is based on history, clinical signs, physical examination, X-rays, joint fluid cytology, blood counts and serum chemistries. Most cats get worse with time but can be maintained with early and aggressive therapy.

TREATMENT OF CHRONIC PROGRESSIVE POLYARTHRITIS

Cats positive for feline leukemia will often respond poorly to treatment. FeLV negative cats can do well on prednisolone therapy alone or combined with azathioprine and cyclophosphamide. Adequan, Cosequin or Synovi-Cre may also be helpful but little research has been done as to their effectiveness.

Quote:
Or about the Meloxicam he's taking for pain (.15 mg today, tomorrow, then e/o day for a week). The box said for dogs, but the vet said it was approved for use in cats in CA...not US.
Careful with this (also known as Metacam). It's actually not approved for oral use in cats in Canada either, only as a one time post-surgical injection, and it has been implicated in causing or exacerbating renal failure. I realize there's a quality of life issue where chronic pain is concerned, and Metacam can really help some cats. Just keep a close eye on Mikey's kidney values with regular check-ups. I also second rjesak's recommendation to try acupuncture.

Good luck!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler