View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2020, 01:37 PM

Fast Solution that Worked

I realize this is a fifteen-year-old thread, but it's the top Google answer, so I thought I'd share my experience:

I have a ten-week-old Cavapoo. After reading about the $800 cat operation - she's about the size of a smallish cat - I wanted to take immediate action. I fed her, within ten minutes, a fair amount of braunschweiger (I use small amounts for treats, and I knew she'd eat it happily - it's a quite oily, liver almost paste), then two tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted but cool, on a plate. I felt she'd had all the salt I really wanted to give her with the braunschweiger, which I'd already used in a somewhat smaller amount (she got a full slice, somewhat thick, this time) as a stool softener.

Being that she was so full of greasy, oily food, and knowing that dogs can throw up pretty much whenever they want to, I was hoping...and yes! Within ten minutes she threw up the earplug. I also had figured that, failing that blessed event, she had a pretty good chance of passing it with that much lubrication.

So, old thread or not, I hope this helps someone out. I think trying to get your pup to throw up with unsalted butter on top of other appealing food is worth trying for others. Substitute as necessary, but get in too much oily treat quickly, and hope she throws up.