View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Calorie intake for 5 month old kittens?

My two kittens Pebbles and BamBam are 5 months old, and last week at their vet visit, weight 6.2 lbs (2.8 kg) and 5 lbs (2.2 kg) respectively. I'm feeding them canned Wellness Grain Free (the 12 oz cans) 3 times a day: 8 am, 6pm and a smaller portion around midnight. They easily eat 1.5 can a day and I'm wondering if I'm feeding them too much. They eat about 50% of their food right away, and then graze on the rest. It's often gone before the next feeding.
Each can of Wellness is about 450 - 500 calories each, so combined, they're eating 675 - 750 calories a day. They don't eat any dry food, and very few snacks. Pebbles is bigger but I can still see the waist indentation.
I read that adult cats should eat 25-30 cal per lb, and that would translate to less than 350 cal for both cats. Obviously, they are still kittens and need to grow, but am I feeding them too much? When should I start feeding them less? How much should I feed them?

Thanks in advance for reading this. I might be obsessing too much, but I'd rather start with proper eating habits than have to correct overeating issues down the road.