View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM

Hydrolyzed Protein Cat Food?

We've just dropped our 2 yr old cat at the vet. He's been lethargic and vomitting over the last day or so, and the final straw was watching him strain to use the litter box.

He's crazy constipated. He is staying at the clinic overnight, possibly until Monday as they try to work the poop out. Do I feel like a horrible cat owner right now? Yes.

He went through a period in the spring of vomitting as well, and we had changed his food source to Natural Balance Duck and Pea (both dry and wet formula, along with other canned formulas that didn't contain chicken). It worked well until a month or so ago - the vomitting began again, so we switched to EVO Salmon and Herring formula. Things have been fine until he started vomitting, etc again.

That all said - the vet is recommending a hydrolyzed protein type of food for my Mr Miyagi. It's the first I've heard of this. Has anyone ever had to use this for your own cats? Are the ingredients going to be as horrible as I fear (I'm such a strong believer in grain-free, especially for cats). She is also recommending just dry food (it's easier to limit the protein or something?). Again, and I told her - I much prefer a diet that does include canned food. When we pick him up, we'll be discussing food. I want to be prepared so any help would be appreciated.