View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Thanks for your honest replies. We definiately need people to be as honest as possible if we're going to to get the situation correct!

To jesses mom, who advised that we handled the situation incorrectly and even went so far as to advise against getting another dog at all, I must say I'm a little disapointed to hear your advice. We have grown up with dogs all our lives, have dealt with many frustrating problems, have been patient and caring dog owners. This was the first time we thought that our lives were actually in danger. Having a dog go for your neck in a manner like this was scary. Maybe it wouldn't be for you, but for us it was. We've never experienced something like that before.

I understand where you are coming with in giving your advice to never get a dog, but if thats the kind of advice I'm going to get here--make 1 mistake and you're banned from having dogs forever--then maybe I posted in the wrong forum. Do you know how many homeless dogs are out there? And do you know how many owners can live up to your expectations? Clearly there is a discrepancy between the two. Now Im not saying that every owner should be laissez-fair because at least they are better than the alternative of euthanasia. But don't you think that if I took the time to detail the story to you and specifically show I intend to make every effort to correct a fault if I indeed acted too swiftly that a homeless dog would be better in my care than in the pound?

If we thought this could be trained, we would have spent the time to train it. Thats why Im posting here. When we made our decision, its because we thought this was the personality of the dog. I believe that dogs do have personalities, some more aggressive than others, and having known that poor cocker spaniel breeding in the past has lead to genetically aggressive behavior, I thought thats what I might be witnessing. I don't know if genetically bred behavior can be trained, so thats part of the reason why I posted.

Anyway, thanks again for the honest replies. If you honestly belieive this was the wrong choice, I want to hear that.

The only thing Im a little concerned with in the replies is that I don't know if I accurately described the reaction. I have dealt with dogs with object guarding related agression who take their toys into the corners and growl if you come near.

This wasn't like that. He took the toy, sat in my lap, and then went for my throat in a seemingly random manner. 9 times out of 10 I took the toy and he was happy. Then 1 time he snapped. And it wasn't a quick snap at my hand. It was a snarling lunge at my neck. I wasn't sure how we could work on training this, as Im scared to elicit the behavior. What if he actually did bite me? Im not scared of dog bites anywhere else but there.

If I can get a consensus that this can be corrected, however, I will correct it. The dog was that sweet. In the remaining 99% of the time we interacted with him, he never responded with anything other than 100% affection.

Again, Im sorry if I reacted to swiftly. The reason we did was so he would be available for another family, and to prevent both he and us from becoming too attached. Im trying to look at it as if I prevented him from sleeping in a shelter for 1 night, even though I now know I probably did something wrong.

I have a meeting with the shelter this morning around 12 noon (EST), so any advice you can give me before then will be great.

Is this type of behavior really something that can be trained, or does it sound at all like the inbred aggression sometimes seen in improperly bred cocker spaniels? If its the latter, is that trainable as well?

Im really thankful for the replies. We really want to make this situation right, and for that reason, we're posting here and looking for help. Thanks again

Last edited by gtexan; July 16th, 2007 at 08:05 AM.