View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
Is it a phosphorus binder instead?
For some unknown stupid reason they manufactured some phos binders for pets with mint flavouring usually doesn't go over too well unless it's given to a dog. If it is a phos binder make sure it's flavourless & if not ask for the composition (ie is it aluminum or calcium based) & you can then ask your local pharmacy for the odourless/tasteless version with the same composition.

Have you ever needed to pill Sam? How did he react?

A cautionary note on mixing powder into food ~ Given how fussy he seems to be with food, if there is the slightest hint of flavour to the powder he may refuse to eat it - which can lead to a refusal to eat whatever brand/flavour it was added to.

Some cats are fine with extra stuff mixed in to the food, but sometimes it's just easier/faster to pill them.
Apparently the powder is called something like "RENO" she didn't spell it for me but she said it's the same as Azodyl. I will be calling them a little later today to find out if it's in and if they have everything I want eg the special litter, and the copy of his blood work.

Sam used to get Buscopan pills which are tiny white tablets. It usually took some doing to get it down his throat as he'd hold it in his mouth and then a few minutes later spit it out. However when he recognized he needed the pill he would let me toss it down his throat without a problem. The azodyl looks like large capsules to me, I have no idea how large they are though. I think I would have a heck of a time getting them down his throat and you can't open them up.

I am concerned about adding the powder to his food. It's only in the last month or so that he's been refusing to eat the food that has UbaVet in it but I do know they have changed the formula by adding green lipped mussels and a variety of herbs to it and this may be what he's objecting to. The next bottle I will ask if they have the plain one with just glucosamine,chondroitin & MSM in it to see if that's the problem. The chewable tabs only have those 3 in them, and I may have to try them. However, he has totally refused any chewable tabs in the past no matter what they were.

This past week I have been low on the cat food he likes and he hasn't been eating as much as he usually does. I am very concerned about that.. the very last thing I want is for him to stop eating. However, he also hasn't been pulling the fur out of his belly very often either, so something is going on. I just can't wait to get my hands on the blood work.

Thanks growler for the help you've given me, your thread about Duffy is fantastic as well.