Thread: Hi-Tor neo diet
View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almur View Post
Thanks Growler. After reading your thread I am not looking for Hi-Tor food anymore. I feed, and will keep feeding my cat Wellness. Rudy likes Salmon and Turkey. According to this website http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm this Wellness food is the lowest in phosphorus. Yesterday I sent an email to Wellness asking for the info so I can verify these numbers myself. So far, no reply. Do you know what is phosphorus level in Salmon and Turkey ?

I would like very much to hear an opinion of a holistic vet but have no idea how to find one. I am having a huge problem finding a “regular” vet who can do more than to switch Rudy to k/d food. We have been to 4 different vets since January
Sugarcatmom is right the Kat Karma pages were last updated in 2003 & 2005, here is the values for Wellness Turkey & Salmon - I did get these directly from consumer services @ Wellness along with the complete breakdowns of all their catfood products. The Turkey & Salmon is too high in phos @ 1.44% dm basis and also as SCM mentions you do want to limit your feeding of fish varieties when possible. CRF kitties often have very little appetite and when the only thing they want to eat is fish, if they refuse to eat any other meat type they are @ higher risk for developing liver issues. Unfortunately the fish varieties are not low enough in phos & they are not nutritionally balanced enough for a cat with medical issues.

TURKEY & SALMON
......................As fed Basis,............Dry Matter............g/Per 1000
............................%..................... Basis, %...............KCAL ME
M.E. KCAL/KG.....1162.30...................4775.27.......... ...........-

MOISTURE..........75.66........................-...........................-
PROTEIN.............12.20....................50.12 ....................104.96
FAT....................7.99.....................32 .83.....................68.74
CARBOHYDRATES...1.79.....................7.35..... .................15.40
FIBER..................0.26.....................1. 07........................2.24
ASH....................2.10......................8 .63.....................18.07
CALCIUM..............0.50.....................2.05 .......................4.30
PHOSPHORUS........0.35.....................1.44... ....................3.01
POTASSIUM..........0.32.....................1.31.. .....................2.75
SODIUM...............0.11.....................0.45 .......................0.95

As for Homeopath/Holistic vets look into the recommendation by Aslan , you can also ask your vet for a recommendation, that is how I found my Homeopath vet. I wanted to do something more for my cat Duffy than just wait until she needs sub q fluids so I asked my vet about adding homeopathy to her treatment plan & she recommended the Dr. that Duffy is currently seeing. I like the approach, atmosphere, treatments, the way of helping so much that I did a full switch to homeopathy.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying