View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankrom View Post
they are both german shepherd mixes. Not sure of the mix part since they are rescue. Chase was not really trained properly. Too many inconsistencies between me and my ex. He not aggressive towards other dogs. He has been socialized since he was a puppy and he listens very well. He just gets aggressive with his brother around me when attention is wanted. I really do agree with you though that he could get worse. I have been reading about how not to give him anymore attention and make him sit or something before I pet him. I will just probably have to seek out a trainer. Which I do think would help, he is a fast learner. Thank you
Pleasure. German Shepherds/mixes are usually very smart and learn fast.
I personally like group obedience training because the other dogs make the environment more challenging and if the dog will listen there, he will likely listen in less challenging circumstances. But if you get a fab trainer 1:1 and that's better for you, it should work.

The only caveat, is that in most places, the title of "dog trainer" has the potential to be 100% meaningless....because it is an unregulated profession. This means that there are puhlenty of losers out there calling themselves "dog trainer" and possibly adding other fancy and meaningless words in front of that title. Because of this, i hate to say it many dog trainers are NOT professional and their experiences and training styles may be very unsatisfactory to you. This is why the referral from someone you trust is ESSENTIAL.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter