View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You know, chico, I think cats are just like humans, some have a higher food drive than others. Changing from a quality canned to a raw diet is not going to make a difference in the food drive that a cat has, otherwise Sweet Pea and Rose would not be obese.

Puddles eats about half of what Vinnie eats and maintains her perfect 8 lbs. Jasper eats double of Puddles (or what you feed Vinnie) and maintains his perfect 12 lbs, however, Jasper is a very hyper kitty. So I am thinking because Vinnie is not as active of a cat, he should be fed about what Puddles eats, half a 5.5 oz can per day. If he doesn't like raw meat, then mixing it with his canned food is not so bad, he won't eat so much . You get to control the fat content in the raw, so you have the choice to feed only low fat chicken breast. The only issue would be the calcium to phosphorus ratio if he is not getting any bones. I guess you could purchase the additives to raw meat that can be purchased online.

The only way I can in somewhat control Sweet Pea and Rose's weight is to feed Jasper and Puddles their main meal at night and keep them separated from SP and Rose.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey