View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Willing cat servant

Update and my Anxiety!

Hi friends! And happy 2016!
Here I am again. Never stopped completely taking a look.
For those who might remember me I was pregnant I finally had my baby boy.
He's adorable. Haha well of course I'm going to think that right?
Anyways let me tell you one of the reasons I've been away besides being so busy and adapting to this huge change is that right after having my boy I developed a huge anxiety problem. He's turning 2 tomorrow btw Thanks God.
It's a health anxiety problem. At the beginning it was all about my baby, always thinking something bad would happen to him, like a horrible disease or something of the sort. It went on for over a year until it got more complicated and I also started to fear for myself. Thinking I had leukemia and/or tumors all the time. It's been a nightmare to the point I didn't want to keep on living. That's when it hit me and got help. So I've been in therapy, medications and I got better. I mean I still get a little crazy but the quality of life has improved a lot.
So now you may be wondering why am I telling you all this and how does this links to our dear pet forums. Well here we go.
I'm in Mexico at the moment and I decided that it was time to do what I've been wanting for so long: Adopt a dog. And what better way to do it than from a dog in need here in Mexico.
He found us in a park. I had the opportunity to test that he was non aggressive to cats, small dogs or children. He's a vigorous 8 / 9 month old pup, a nut job, very enthusiastic. His name is Ragnar. He has a bit of German Shepherd in him and probably everything else imaginable Today we have an appt for his first shot btw.
Anyway here where it comes the link to my anxiety. The previous dog I had was adopted from the streets as well his name was Peanut. After a short time he began to be sick again and again and after 3 months I finally lost him to a mystery immune system illness that never had a clear diagnose. We did so much to keep him going. Probably way too much for his own good. As I write this tears are falling and falling so here's the thing: Having this pup has made me insanely worried about him. I have to check him all the time. What if the same happens again? How is he pooping? Is he happy? Is he shedding too much hair? Why did he get that little rash? Why is he sleeping in the day? Is he tired because he has something bad?
Flashbacks hit me and I literally feel dizzy and filled with fear, close to panic.
I could never get over that episode in the sense that now I always think something terrible is going to happen to my animals. Especially if they're new arrivals.
Plus my heart is broken because Bobandy (the black cat) escaped out the window and got lost in September.
Anyway... How can I get over this? How can my mind understand that these are 2 different dogs and that it doesn't have to be the same way that with Peanut? How do I get rid of this fear that made me have a big relapse?