View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Red face We got another dog!

So as of today, Heidi will be staying with us for an as yet undetermined amount of time. For those who don't know, she is DH-to-be's dog. He got her when he was 16, and she became the family dog when he went to universty.

She's 10 and age is catching up with her. We took her to the vet today and discovered she is 20 lbs. overweight (that didn't surpise us), and had run out of her stilbesterol Rx for urinary incontinence and his parents didn't refill it so she had been peeing all over herself. She also developed a second and third lipoma over the past year. They're still pretty small, but we need to get this weight off her and discourage them from growing!

We've discussed the importance of good food, execise and keeping on top of her meds many times with them but it obviously isn't sinking in, so we brought her here. We got new meds for her, will start her on glucosamine and salmon oil, help her lose weight and put her on a healthy food.

To alleviate family conflict we're calling her a "foster" for now.....just long enough to give her some much needed structure and TLC. But it could become permanent IMO.

She's kind of anxious so far with the change in environment, but at least she knows us well. She's trying to dominate Kailey but our good girl just walks away and ignores her. I'm sure she'll tell Heidi when enough is enough though. Heidi is completely ignoring Rupert, which is good for a dog that has never lived with cats. He walked right up to her and gave her a smack on the nose though - I think he wanted to tell her right away that there will be no messing with him! That little dude is fearless.

Anyway, I will post pics a little later, but there is an album in my profile of her as well.

And the family continues to grow....I must be crazy. She is a big undertaking, between her health and the manners she completely lost since J. moved away from home.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl