View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:00 AM

Wink Do what the dog mother woul do - look into the air

Dear everyone,
Am new here - so pleased to meet you. I've had lot's of luck using Jan Fennels method (the book: Doglistener) who kindly uses what the wolves and leader of the pack use to calm their flock down.

You can read the book - esecialle i'd love to give you her 48 hours when you get a puppy in the house from her new book - seven ages of a dog. but if you want to try the method out quickly here's a start:

Jan fennels point is to show he puppy you are the new and gentle leader - in the most calm and quiet way, like a big leader og mother dog does (notice older dogs how they react to you puppy by putting thei nose up in the air and looking away - this is their way of saying calm down little one - no need to worry - we're bigger older and higher and we're not worried)
Take you and your puppy into a room with nothing on the floor (the hall or anywhere). No distractions i mean.

Sit down and leave you wonderful pup alone. Since your dog doesn't understand humanlanguage you can copy the signal of a mother/leader by telling it - you can go to sleep - don't worr about a thing - i'm you boss and I take care of you.
You must do this by taking you chin up and eyes away from the dog. This might take anything from 2 minutes to 3 hours. Probably around 30-40 minutes if your pup has gotten a bit worried about who's taking care of things in the house (lifting them up shows them that they DO have something to worry about - it enforces their anxiety, growling etc)

Puppy reaction:
Probably first sniffing around
Then trying to jump up at you (DONT SAY A WORD - SHOW THE PUP EVERYTHING IS COOL BY GENTLY PUSHING IT AWAY THE SECOND IT TRIES TO TOUCH YOU - NO TALK - NO EYE CONTACT - CHIN UP)
Your pup might now start to whine - what's going on (DONT SAY A WORD DONT LOOK - A MOTHER SHOWS LOVE BY REASSURING THIS WAY)
THen it might start to growl and even bark at you (OK THIS IS WHERE I CANT HELP GIGGLE - THIS MEANS YOU HAVE A STRONG WILLED PUP WHO ACTUALLY THINKS HE's THE BOSS)
You pup may lie down (THIS IS OFTEN A FIRST TRICK - IF YOU TOUCH NOW ITMIGHT JUMP UP AND START AGAIN)
Your pup might get up and down 1-9 nine times
Suddenly your pup will give up and lie down - completely flat with its whole body from tail to head. (THIS IS IT - HE/SHE HAS GIVEN UP)
Wait five minutes.
Call and have a cuddle. Your puppy is now happy and relaxed and not growling or biting.

If youwant the full benefit of this there are more steps and things you do every day - all the dogs life. But you get so used to doing them - that it just seems so easy - in my opinion.

I'm really interested to hear how it goes - i did it with my pup and its six siblings when they were 7 weeks old. Some took ten minutes. Others - the alfa maile - took 45 minutes. They all slept for hours afterwards and the house became calm and happy. The point is to repeat the process, but the first time you do it is by far the most important.

Also this proces saved my last dogs life - a rescue dog with severe anxiety problems. It would have had to be pt down as a 1 year old if it hadn't been for Jan Fennel. It made it to three - and this was all Jan Fennels doing.
As we say in Denmark - good wind - meaning - may the luck follow your moves.
BEST Miss Mille (my wonderful new 9 month dogs name - a dog who does alle the doggy annoying things, but isn't at all a problem like my last one)