View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2019, 04:39 PM

Right or wrong time to get a new dog?

We lost our sweet Pom Jessy this summer, but she had a great life and lived to 15. We will miss her always, no dog could replace her, but we are now feeling ready for a new dog. I have even located a Pom pup who feels "right". However, we have started to build a new house and we wonder if this is the right time for a new dog. We are hiring workers to build, but we do go back and forth to check on them and there are lots of errands to run. We would only move into the new house in January.

I would not bring a new pup to the building site but I would not be away for too long, however as most people who have built a house know - there will be problems and stress (it's inevitable). I wonder if we should wait to bring another dog into our lives after the house is ready and things are more settled and I could concentrate fully on the training, socializing, and education? Then another part of me is saying life is never perfect, and no time is ever perfect. I also feel that I might regret not adopting this particular little pup, but yes, other dogs will probably be available next year when our lives have calmed down.

Another thing bugging me is that I found this pup about 2 weeks ago and he still hasn't been adopted (he was born April 30) so he's getting close to 4 months old and still doesn't have a proper home. I need to make a decision. Sometimes I go check on the internet almost hoping he's no longer available - he'd have a home and wouldn't have this dilemma!!

I would appreciate your opinions and advice. Thanks!