Thread: Dog love life!
View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Doggie Wench

The only drawback of a vasectomy vs neuter is that you don't take away their desire to procreate. They will still do anything to get to a female in heat and you risk dog-dog aggression with other male dogs. Even if he's extremely well trained, trying to override instinct is near impossible. There was a new member here who posted not too long ago that she received 45 stitches to the head and body, including other punctures, for trying to separate a male and female. Can you understand how strong that mating drive is for a dog to do something like that?

The neutering of our adopted adult male was delayed because of health issues. And I'll be honest, in the meantime, I was anxious about having it done as well. I weighed all pros and cons of the surgery but, what made up my mind was the fact that other male dogs were nasty with him and vice versa. And then a friend of dh's, who's female was in heat, came over to visit (he didn't bring her but her scent was on him). Lucky started foaming profusely at the mouth and proceeded to pee up all the walls and furniture . He went totally nuts and I had to ask the friend to leave. It took hours before he was back to his old self. So without delay, as soon as he recovered from his illnesses, we had him neutered. What we've noticed since...even though he doesn't always get on very well with other adult males now (probably as a result of being neutered so late), he absolutely can't tolerate an un-neutered male.

The best thing about having him neutered is that I believe we took nothing away from his personality. If anything, it's added to it. No more obsessively smelling for females in heat (not to mention the foaming and peeing everywhere ), no more males wanting to pick a fight with him (only a quick sniff and everyone's on their way), and best of all, I don't have to worry about him trying to climb fences or take off on me to get to a female...it's much more relaxed all around .