View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
So what now?

There are exactly two ways to obtain a puppy or dog: adopt from a rescue, shelter, or pound; and buy from a responsible breeder who SHOWS (or trials) her dogs, who HEALTH TESTS (not “vet checks”), who INTERVIEWS YOU and who has standards for where she places her puppies-which means she may tell you no-who REQUIRES A WRITTEN CONTRACT including a puppy-back clause so your dog never ends up in a shelter or rescue, and who is open to PEER REVIEW and a member in good standing in her community (as shown by participation in a club or recommendations from other good breeders in the area). These are the qualities that set her apart as a responsible breeder, and they’re what keep your purchased puppy from adding to the statistics of homeless dogs.
So if a dog from a "responsible" breeder ends up in a shelter (owners die, owners get divorced, etc, etc.) and those who go to "responsible" breeders, rather than to the shelter to get a dog, that dog sitting in the shelter doesn't die?

Somebody who truly (and I mean truly) cares for a breed and not just their "superior" pups, does not want any of those dogs dieing in shelters, it's not the dog's fault they were born to unhealthy parents.

The other thing I get from this article, is if you find a purebred in a shelter, then it must be unhealthy, because healthy purebreds are only gotten from
responsible breeders and they do NOT end up in shelters contributing to the overpopulation of dogs/cats. There is such a stigma already attached to "shelter" dogs/cats and I don't think this article helps it.

Also, just because you win in the show ring, doesn't mean you have a healthy cat/dog or that your pet will not develop health issues down the road. Look at Himalayans and Persians and what the show ring has done to them. They end up with horrible sinus problems due to their "pushed in faces" (and personally I find them not as attractive as ones that don't quite conform to the "standards").

I just don't buy this "show ring" stuff. I think dogs (more so than cats because dogs are more likely to have "jobs") should be bred to be able to perform certain "tasks", that could be a mutt (Alaskan Huskies, for example) or a purebred.

To me, there is only one way to NOT kill a shelter dog and that is to adopt from a shelter.

Just my .
Whoops just realized it looks like I am directing my response to shay, but I'm not, it is to the article itself.

Yes, mods, I will be on my best behaviour

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey